Inkster Youth Assistance Program
What is the program?
The Inkster Youth Assistance program reduces the risk factors that lead to youth crime by providing prevention and early intervention services to at-risk youth. Starfish believes that helping at-risk youth achieve lasting reform through group support and structured activities is far more effective than jail time.
The program provides 12 weeks of therapeutic groups and recreational activities for youth. A case manager visits with each participant monthly to continue encouragement and help change behaviors for the long term. The program also includes:
- Family involvement, the cornerstone of developing problem-solving and coping skills
- Adventure challenge training to promote personal success, achievement, teamwork and trust
- Service learning projects to give back to the community
- Reality field trips to the Wayne Country Jail to allow youth to experience the criminal justice system first hand
- Community guest speakers that teach and provide insight through their own personal experiences
Who can participate?
Youth ages 10 through 17 can participate. Other eligibility requirements include:
- Parental permission or juvenile court order
- Voluntary admission
- Youth must have committed a “ticketable offense”
- Must be willing to participate in random drug screenings and record checks
Where and when does the program take place?
The program operates Monday through Friday at Counterpoint Shelter in Inkster, Michigan, and group sessions are held on Mondays from 4-6 p.m. or 6-8 p.m.
Summer Youth Leadership Program is held Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for eight weeks.
Individual and family sessions vary depending on schedules. Occasional field trips and community service projects are held on weekends.
Counterpoint Shelter and Crisis Center
715 S. Inkster Road
Inkster, MI 48141
How can I find out more?
Contact the Inkster Youth Assistance Program at 313-277-2450 for more information.
Copyright © 2013 Starfish Family Services – Detroit Parenting Programs, Michigan Early Childhood Development Programs, Children’s Mental Health Services, After School Programs. All Rights Reserved.